Monday, February 9, 2009

Bushfire Tragedy

In these days of instant news from around the globe, the horrible tragedies that strike at humans everywhere start to wash over you without the horror truly sinking in. However every now and then an event really does reach out and touch you. For me this happened this morning as I read about the full extent of the bushfire hell that was unleashed in Victoria this past weekend. Kinglake, Whittlesea, these are places I know and visited many times during my five year stint as a PhD student in Melbourne. Good friends of mine live close to, but thankfully not in, the fire ravaged areas. So I want to send my sincere condolences to all the hundreds who lost their family members, homes, or livelyhoods in the devastating bushfires.
On happier news I also want to congratulate fellow blogger and co-author, Darren Naish and his wife Toni on the birth of Emma Naish.
As for myself, I'm about to head of into the field for a few days so things will be quiet on Dracovenator this week.

No comments: